- 20 Oct 2017
Wedding Photography Prices. How to Select your Wedding Photographer.
“How much should I budget for? How much is reasonable? How can I get the best deal or what should my package include?” All great questions and ones I hear all the time. On average, couples in the United States pay 10-15% of their total budget on a wedding photographer. Sound like a lot? It is. But hiring the best wedding photographer for you can be one of the most important decisions you’ll make during the wedding planning process. The moments captured in your wedding day photography will be what you have to help you remember this most important day.
The typical wedding photography package usually offers coverage for 8 hours. Adding more or less time will increase or decrease that price. Engagement sessions can sometimes be included or run extra. I usually offer engagement with the cost of my deluxe full day package as an added bonus. Another consideration when it comes to your wedding photography cost is whether or not you want a wedding album included in your package. I would recommend making sure that your wedding photograph package includes at least one book. If you are not a book designer or know how to manipulate images, you should leave it up to the pro.
I’ve come up with my TOP 5 list of things to help you determine whether the wedding photography prices you are receiving are a good value or not and how to pick the right person for the job!
- Photographer’s Style – you need to be in love with the photographer’s style otherwise you will be disappointed. If you like fashion, make sure you choose someone who does more glamorous looking work (like me ;). If you like candids, choose someone who is more photojournalistic. And, along with that comes number 2;
- Make sure you like your photographer’s personality. Have an in-person meeting to make sure you connect. You will be spending one of the most important day’s of your life with this person, make sure it will be a fun one!
- High Res/No Watermark – Definitely make sure you package includes high resolution images with no watermark. You want to be able to use these images at your own free will.
- Photo Albums – Chances are, you will want to have a photo album to page through of your day. Make sure your wedding photography package includes quality photo album(s) included in the price. And, choose a package and stick with it. You want to make sure you get the best price for your wedding photography that includes everything you need.
- Check Reviews and References – You want to make sure other people had a good experience with this wedding photographer.
All in all, you want to hire a photographer who is passionate about their job. Someone who shows passion will be dedicated to taking the best possible pictures on your day and give you a remarkable experience and photos you will be so proud to look back on for years to come. Make sure you invest your money in someone you trust, you enjoy being around and someone who has a portfolio that you are in love with.